Huawei Pleads Not Guilty to US Trade Secrets Theft Charges

The Chinese tech giant Huawei pleaded not guilty Thursday to U.S. trade-theft Prices in a case Which has heightened a trade dispute between the world’s two Biggest Markets.

The pleas were entered in federal court in Seattle, in which a 10-count indictment was unsealed in January against two Huawei units, Huawei Device Co. and Huawei Device USA.

Fees include conspiracy to steal trade secrets, attempted theft of trade secrets, wire fraud and obstruction of justice. The conspiracy charge carries a possible fine of $5 million or twice the worth of the stolen trade secret, whichever is higher, the U.S. Attorney’s office said Thursday.

U.S. District Judge Ricardo S. Martinez set a March 2020 trial date.

The U.S. has accused China of using predatory tactics to turn Chinese companies into leaders in technology fields including robotics and electric vehicles.

From 2012 to 2014, prosecutors allege, Huawei participated in a scheme to steal the tech behind a robotic device which Bellevue, Washington-based T-Mobile used to test smartphones, according to the charges.

Prosecutors say one Huawei employee even eliminated the robot’s arm against T-Mobile’s lab, took detailed measurements and photographs of it, then sent the information about it to China; the company states the worker acted independently and was later fired.

A federal jury in Seattle granted T-Mobile $4.8 million in damages in 2017.

Huawei, the No. 2 smartphone manufacturer and an essential player in global communications networks, has also been charged in New York with lying to banks about prices that broken economic sanctions against Iran. The daughter of the organization’s founder has been arrested in Canada and is awaiting extradition to the U.S. No arraignment has been set in the New York situation, however, Huawei denies the charges.

Trade talks involving the United States and China are far from completion, U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer told lawmakers Wednesday, however President Donald Trump raised hopes earlier in the week after he stated he’d postpone a scheduled March 2 increase in tariffs on $200 billion of imports.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here