Google+ to Shut Down April 2, Some Features Will Be Taken Offline Starting Next Week

Launched in 2011, Google+ was expected to be the organization’s response to Facebook with a number of similar features. However, it didn’t gain much traction over recent years. While Google+ will cease to exist in April 2, 2019, the firm now says it will start removing some of the features as early as February 4. Google has outlined the timeline when and which features will be taken offline and how Google+ users may download their data.

On a new support page submitted on Monday, Google states from February 4 it will quit letting users create new Google+ profiles, pages, events or communities. Google+ community owners and moderators can download their information beginning early March 2019. This information will include author information, content body, and photos published in a public community on Google+.

Google will delete all of user data. In case you archived photos and videos from Google+, they’ll be deleted as well. In case you have a good deal of data resting on Google+ servers, be sure to download and store it nicely before April 2.

But, Google asserts the process of deleting consumer Google+ info are going to take a couple of months. Content posted on Google+ may stay visible during that time. The company says users may nonetheless have the ability to see activity logs and some customer Google+ content may also be observable via G Suite.

On the brand new service page, Google still claims the company had decided to kill Google+ because of reduced use and”challenges involved with maintaining a successful product.” But a bug was discovered last year which exposed user data of 500,000 users. Google still maintains no developer had exploited the vulnerability and the firm hasn’t been able to locate any misuse of the data.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here